Paul Gorski outlined the following research based steps that we as teachers and staff can follow to nurture equality in education.
- express high expectations through higher order, engaging pedagogies
- enhance family involvement
- incorporate arts into instruction
- incorporate movement into instruction
- focus intently on student and family strengths
- analyze materials for class bias
- promote literacy enjoyment
- reach out to families early and often
As I reflect on these steps, I'm wondering:
- Am I doing a good job at these?
- Is our school doing a good job at these?
- What can we do as teachers and a staff to grow?
- How can we (myself and our community) do a better job?