Overall, I feel like the use of mentor texts were helpful for many reasons. Students specifically benefitted from seeing the titles, text features, leads, introductions and conclusions in our mentor texts. I can see the impact in their writing.
- My writing wasn't the 'mentor'. Published 'real' writing could serve as our guide.
- Mentor texts made the task more authentic.
- Analyzing mentor texts allowed the inquiry cycle to live in writing.
- Mentor texts were tools throughout the entire writing process, not just during immersion.
- I want students to independently use mentor text for assistance.
- I want to specifically use a few, well written mentor texts as guides, instead of a text set.